Anybody want to team up to memorize Scripture together this year?
Scripture memorization has always been such an effective discipline of the faith that we can quite often overlook. I firmly believe that the vast majority of personal battles we face are won or lost on the battlefield of the mind – whether it be anxiety, fear, bitterness, or any struggle, we can find it easy to get lost in the repetition of defeated thoughts. These critical moments are when having Scripture at the ready can speak victory into our lives.
In that vein of thinking, I’ve committed to memorizing one Scripture verse on the 1st and 15th of each month in this new year, and would love some teammates! (If you want to read about the original Siesta Scripture Memory Team, just click here and join up.)
Here’s how it will work:
* Commit to memorize 2 Scriptures per month. That doesn’t seem like much, but just think – committing to 2 verses a month means that by the end of the year you’ll have memorized 24 new Scriptures! The whole point is to take our hearts and minds captive to Christ. There’s no losing here.
* I’ll post my memory verse here each time, and if you’d like you can post a reply with your name and the verse you’ve chosen. Choose a verse that really speaks to you at that time and commit it to memory so it’s a top priority in your mind each day. Choose with a confidence that regardless of the verse you choose, God will bring blessing. (And keep it simple! Just one verse, or even one short phrase.)
* Write it down! Buy a new set of index cards, some post it notes, or whatever works for you. Make a point to say the verse out loud at least once each day. Really speak it so you can hear yourself say the verse word-by-word.
* Watch your prayer life change. The more God’s word abides in us, the more the mind of Christ is developed in us (see John 15: 7 – 8).
* Have fun with it! Make this a conversation with God. If you choose a verse that you just can’t quite get, ask God to help. And when you finally get that verse right, just give God a little high five – He’ll love it :).
So, here we go. I’ll post here on the 1st and 15th of each month, and you can simply reply with the verse you’ve chosen if you want to team up. See you soon!
“Yes, Lord, walking in the way of Your truth, we wait for You, for Your name and Your renown are the desire of our souls.” – Isaiah 26: 8